Pages

Sunday, September 7, 2014

On Your Mark, Get Set....

Malabrigo Yarn She Knits in Pearls

This week I'm gearing up to start a new the Knit-A-Long for the Marion Cardigan. This is another wonderful vintage inspired cardigan by the incredibly talented Andi Satterlund of Untangling Knots. Not only is she hosting the knit-a-long on her Ravelry group, but she has also giving a discount on the pattern if you buy it before the KAL starts on September 10th. You can get the pattern at either of the links above, use discount code MARIONKAL14 if you want to join in the fun.

image source

In preparation for the KAL I have been working on the ever dreaded gauge swatch, or swatches as the case may be. There was a time, early in my knitting life that I didn't do gauge swatches. Even after my first sweater that was supposed to fall at the hips ended up almost at my knees. I refused the idea that gauge swatches were necessary. It took multiple, massive failures to figure out that I am a loose knitter. I routinely have to go down a needle size or two in order to stop my sweaters from looking like they would fit Gumby better than me. I attribute this to the truth that knitting is relaxing for me. When I knit, I relax and so does the yarn between my fingers, resulting in a loose, relaxed knit stitch. This is not a bad thing, but when it comes to knitting patterns, it can cause some problems. Luckily I have done well either changing my needle size or yarn in order to make up for my differences. What if that isn't enough? What if, no matter how you tweak it, it still doesn't come out right? Well, thankfully Andi Satterlund has addressed this issue in her most recent post on gauge. I already knew that I often have to omit rows during my knitting, but I had no idea that there was actually a mathematical formula for it.

Marion KAL She Knits in Pearls

Even thought I know that I need to do gauge swatches, it doesn't make me hate it any less. It's so boring and I despise wasting the time and yarn. On the bright side, this yarn is absolutely heavenly. This Malabrigo yarn is a 1-ply, worsted weight, dream. Made from 100% merino wool, it's texture is that of fluffy velvet. Even those tedious gauge swatches were a pleasure to knit. I am anxiously awaiting the start of the KAL so that I can continue knitting with this delightful yarn.

I don't usually do more that 1 or 2 posts on any knitting project, but you can expect to see a few on this knit as it is part of a KAL and I enjoy those immensely. I also plan on sewing a skirt out of the fabric that is in the background of the photos. What do you guys think? Will they go together well?

Do you guys enjoy Knit-A-Longs or other Craft-A-Longs? Do you like being a part of creative groups? Do you find them as motivating as I do?

Cherry

3 comments:

  1. Mmm... Malabrigo Worsted. I recently finished knitting a cardigan with it (it's only awaiting a few clasps now) and I know exactly what you mean about it being like fluffy velvet. It practically wants to knit itself.

    I'm not sure if it's just my monitor, but the colorway you're using looks remarkably vivid - like, neon-highlighter yellow! I'm not sure it's a color I could ever wear, but I'm sure that with your fashion taste you;ll make it work wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very bright saffron like color, not quite highlighter yellow. I've never worn this sort of color before, but I'm hoping it will be just the ticket to brighten up the fabric that I plan on making a skirt from. This is totally out of my comfort zone, which is why I'm excited to do it. Thank you for reading

      Delete
  2. Love the colour of the wool you've selected. Shades of mustard, saffron and sunflower petal are absolute musts for me the moment the mercury starts to plummet again.

    Happy knitting on this lovely project, dear Cherry!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10