Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

WIP Wednesday - Novelty Brooches and My Favorite Fall Sweater

Vintage knits and brooches
I'm still working on my Marion cardigan for the KAL, but every now and then I need a break.  Instead of casting on another big project and bouncing back and forth, I decided to make some lovely brooches.  I don't know what it is about fall that makes me prefer brooches to hair flowers and bracelets.  Bangles don't usually fit well with my fall cardigans and most hair flowers are just so summery that for me they seem out of place.  So instead of hair flowers, I've been making these little knit and felted flower brooches.  Here's another one all done, paired with my Que Sera cardigan
Vintage Knit and Novelty Brooch

I first knit each of the pedals and 2 leaves with 100% wool yarn (total stash buster).  Then got out my washboard and hand felt them in my kitchen sink.  Here are a few more that are drying.  I hope to sew them together and get the backs on them tomorrow.

Felt flower brooches
As you can see, I'm working on a rose pattern as well.  As I tweak the patterns each time, I hope to share the patterns with you in the future. 

Not only does fall inspire a whole new collection of accessories, it's time for those thicker sweaters to come out of the closet.  My go-to sweater this week, making in my favorite fall sweater, has been my Ginny cardigan, first featured in my blog post It's a Hoot.  I tried to put it on once or twice this summer, but it was just too warm.  Now that the weather is cooling down, it is perfect to put on over a summer dress.  I'm not ready to give up the dresses just yet.
fall knits She Knits in Pearls
 
We made another trip to the botanical gardens this week, and even though most of the flowers have lost their blooms, we were not disappointed.  I was completely in awe at the autumn beauty of the trees.
Fall Knitting She Knits in Pearls
Seriously, check out these leaves behind me.  How gorgeous is that?
Vintage Hair She Knits in Pearls
It was such a lovely afternoon, spent walking along the paths.  Taking in the beauty of the changing seasons really helps me appreciate this time of year.  I often feel a depression in September, saying goodbye to our summers and the impending long, harsh Alaska winters.  I've found it very helpful to embrace our autumn, here in the interior, no matter how short it is.  Ours is coming to a close, as others are just getting started.  I hear the first flutters of snow have already been spotted in the hills.  My fingers are crossed that it doesn't stick for at least a little bit longer.
 
In the evening, the temperature dropped considerably, but thanks to my cozy sweater and a campfire, I was still toasty warm (I can't believe how warm this sweater is) The lipstick came off and the hiking boots came on, much better for enjoying an evening around the fire.  Really, lipstick and s'mores don't mix, ask me how I know.  This may be the last campfire of the year and I can't thing of a better person to share it with.
She Knits in Pearls
I love that even though our styles are totally different, we are both wearing dresses/skirts, knit sweaters, leggings and boots.
I'm so thankful that even though my closest and dearest friend lives 7 hours away, I still am able to see her once a month.  She also helps to take the fall blues away. 
 
So, I'm curious.  Do you have a favorite fall sweater, or outfit maybe?  Do your accessories change as the seasons change?  Am I the only one who tends to mourn the loss of summer, rather than embrace fall and the changing of seasons? 
 
Until we meet again, enjoy it while it lasts.  The snow is just around the corner.
 
XOXO
Cherry
 
Outfit details
Dress - thrifted
Sweater - made by me
Brooch - made by me
Saddle Shoes - Journeys
Earrings - Burlington Coat Factory
Tights - Walmart
Hiking boots - Borrowed from my best friends dad (very glad he has smallish feet)

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10