Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Vintage Pajama Sewing - Part 1

Image Source

In the past few days I have been trying to organize all my holiday crafting and start to get the ball rolling.  All the while, in the back of my brain is the thought that I must get started on my pajamas for the Vintage Pajama Party hosted by the lovely Carla at Tiny Angry Crafters.  I cut out all the pieces (or so I thought) for them a few weeks ago and it's about time to get to the sewing.  I'm not a procrastinator, in fact, I'm usually the exact opposite.  I like to get things done quickly and as immediately as possible, so the fact that I don't have these all done, or even mostly done yet is very unusual for me.  However, knowing all the limitations I have going on with my back and my lack of knowledge, I'm willing to cut myself a little slack. 
 
I decided to start off with the pants part of the P.J.'s to get me back into the swing of things.  After all, I've sewn a ton of P.J pants in the past.  One year for Christmas I made probably 10 pairs as gifts for family and friends.  However, those were all very simple, elastic waist pants.  These are not.  These suckers have waist band panels and buttons on the sides.  What?!?!  I've never seen this before.  According to the world wide web elastic started being used in 1870, but it must not have been very popular or easily accessible during the 1940's, no doubt most of our resources were going to the war effort.  Anyways, let's get to the sewing.
 
First off are the pleats and I read "lap crease to the medium perforation, baste and stitch pleat". Ugh, here we go.  The feeling of what the fuck have I gotten myself into sets in.  I'm not sure exactly what they mean by that.  After a mini panic attack, I figure a pleat is a pleat, just do it!  If it's not exactly what the pattern Gods want, too damn bad.
 
Vintage Pajama Party
 
So I got the pleats done, they may not be perfect, but they work.  Let's move on to some really sewing.  My thoughts after the first seam?  So glad you asked.  "AAAARRRRRRGGG, why in the hell did I pick the slipperiest fabric known to man?". Seriously, it's like sewing two pieces of snot together.  I should have seen it coming when my Mom said, "I hope you have a shit-ton of pins, you're gonna need them.", after I told her what material I was using.  When will I ever learn to listen to that woman?  But I already purchased the fabric, so I'm determined to make it work.
 
My thoughts at this point, if I can make it thru this project without tears or throwing the whole mess off the balcony into the snowbanks, I'll consider it a win.  If I actually end up with a pair of wearable pajamas then I can conquer the world.

Vintage Pajama Party
 
 I'm really glad I have some P.J. pants experience or I would have had no idea how to make that crotch seam work.  I don't remember how or when I learned the trick of putting one pant leg inside the other with right sides facing (no doubt it was probably my Mother), but I'm sure as hell glad I knew how to do it.  Do all vintage patterns just assume you have the skills?

As I started on step 13 I realized that I didn't know what the crap was happening.  Of course, I called my Mom for assistance.  Here is where I realized that I hadn't really cut out all the pieces.  I somehow missed that for two of the pieces, I was supposed to cut two.  By this point my back is telling me that I've had enough and it's time to put it away.  I knew I wasn't going to get very far today as I woke up with my back hurting more than usual so I'm just glad I got anything done.  I may not have the pants finished yet, but I got the first steps done.  The first little panic attacks are over and I can now move forward with a little more confidence than I had when I started. 

So now it's time to get back to my comfortable spot on the couch to let my back rest while getting some more Christmas knitting done (and a blog post).  Are you all making your Christmas lists yet?  And, am I the only grown up who still calls her mom when ever she has a problem?  I can't be the only one.

XOXO,
Cherry

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10