Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Marion Cardigan - Finally Finished

Marion Cardigan She Knits in Pearls
 
Well, after almost 4 month, this outfit is finally finished.  It was actually finished about 2 weeks ago, but with school and the current plague that is going around, I haven't been able to blog about it till now (not that I haven't blogged about it before here and here).  After 2 weeks of feeling like I was knocking on deaths door, all the while trying to keep up on school work, I am starting to feel a bit better.  And after spending 12+ hours yesterday doing nothing but school work, I feel it's ok to devote a tiny bit of my time here.  There have been a few days that I have been fully intending on blogging "just as soon as I get this chapter done".  Only to realize that it was some how 11pm and I was too exhausted to do anything other than crawl into bed and zone out to Netflix. 
 
She Knits in Pearls Marion Cardigan
 
After an unusually warm winter, here in Alaska, we have finally hit our normal winter temperatures of -30* to -40*.  Which leaves it all but impossible to take nice outdoor pictures.  Especially in a thin cotton skirt like this one.  So you'll just have to deal with horribly lite, indoor photos from my phone.  Hey, it's better than nothing.


 
She Knits in Pearls Marion Cardigan
 
Since I've already blogged so much about this outfit, I won't go into too much detail here.  The sweater is the Marion Cardigan by Andi Satterlund of Untangling Knots.  I usually try to stick to free patterns, but when it comes to Andi's patterns, they are always worth it and I am never disappointed.  So many other patterns I need to alter the hell out of, but hers I can follow strait through and not have any problems (as long as I remember to pay attention to ease).  I used Malabrigo worsted, a lovely 1 ply merino wool.  This is a VERY poor choice for sweater knitting as the 1 ply makes it less durable and is likely to wear out quickly.  It is also 100% wool and will felt if you look at it the wrong way.  That being said, oh it is so cozy, like wearing a hug from a cloud.  I will have to be extremely careful with it when laundering, but this will not deter me from wearing it.   I am completely in love with it.  Which is seriously surprising, I have never been drawn to anything in the yellow range.  Maybe it's the lack of color in the dead of winter that is making this sweater the ray of sunshine that makes me smile so much.  Whatever it is, I am pleasantly surprised.  It also helps that I had the vintage buttons already in my stash to finish it off.
 
The skirt is made from a vintage (WWII era) fabric that I acquired from a friend of mine who was moving to Hawaii.  She believes it was in her grandma's stash.  It was made completely without a pattern but I managed to do decent box pleats, a side zipper (vintage) and a button closure (also vintage).  Now I just have to wait for the temperatures to get up above zero for me to wear the whole ensemble out of the house.

Well, it's back to the homework.  After over a year of being unemployed and not attending school, it has been a real challenge to get back into the swing of things.  It's hard to believe that 2 years ago I was working 2 jobs and going to school and now I'm struggling with just school. Even as my back has been feeling a lot better, I am still surprised at how much a chronic injury takes a toll on my daily life. I'm working to get the new schedule under control so that I can still keep my head above water with my school, home, crafting and blogging. 

XOXO,
Cherry

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10